The Static Maps API helps with embedding map images into any website, and it has a wide range of markers and configuration options.
Simple one-line example: http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~pafciu17/?module=map&bbox=69.2,-47.2,71,-50&width=400&height=250
For example: a map with transparent polygons:
and ones with markers
I think the scale bar rocks too.
You can get the code here:
OpenStreetMap had 6 projects this year with GSOC:
- Preprocessor to add altitude info to OSM data
- Android navigation application using OSM data
- Profile based traffic routing
- OSM direction too for visually impaired
- Automatic street sign detection and reading
- Static Maps API
I really enjoyed being a mentor, and was very fortunate to have a very capable student to work with! Cheers Pawel!